A busy week in the ñewsroom: Tucson bans books, SOPA nazi attack meets resistance, pocha chicas making videos, chia pets’ health under assault by Mexican cartels and the Romney campaign releasing a subtitled video campaign ad. Here’s our roundup of the week’s big estories:
- What makes Arizona so especially racist?
- Twenty years ago Public Enemy‘s epic By the Time I Get to Arizona spotlighted Arizona’s failure to implement the Martin Luther King Day holiday. And it looks like some people never change.
- Is banning Mexican-American Studies any different? Disrespect is disrespect.
- And when almost one in three Arizona residents is Latino, disrespect has unintended consequences. 🙂
(PNS reporting from TUCSON) Even as John Huppenthal takes a breather now that teaching the alphabet is banned in Tucson schools, his Taliban-style campaign of education purification continues in the hands of allies.
“We won’t stop with just readin’ and writin’,” they say, “so ‘rithmetic is next!”
Superintendent of Public Instruction Huppenthal told PNS why he is terrified by brown-skinned children who read books and ask preguntas:
We also released the voicemail Catholic Bishop Gabino Zavala left when he told his boss the Archbishop about his secret life with a chica and two shorties.
The Racist White Ladies video (and response and apology videos) continued to amaze people who thought they’d seen everything from Arizona.
Turns out, Arizona-watchers, you ain’t seen anything, yet!
Click through for the stories and links.
Hatred of the poor edged out racism and homophobia in the Iowa GOP caucuses, a Fresno man was mauled by chihuahuas and died of shame, and the attempt to repeal the California Dream Act failed when the referendum’s backer (photo, right) couldn’t score enough racist jerkwad signatures to get their scheme placed on the ballot.
For these Pochostan stories and more, click here:
There are a million stories in the naked barrio. Here are some of mine from 2011.
Background music: ‘Viva Tirado’ by The Bullets. Used by permission. Thanks, pochos!
7. Scare white folks with the 2012 Doomsday predictions
6. Get Cheech to collect one of my Chicano paintings
5. Train my revolutionary pets Karl Barx and Chairman Meow to attack all Republicanos in mi barrio
Holiday greetings from all of us here at POCHO!