People with roots in El Salvador may soon replace Cuban-Americans as the third-largest “Hispanic-origin group,” according to The Pew Research Center:
For more than 40 years, one rock-solid element of Hispanic demographics has been the relative ranking of the three largest Hispanic-origin groups: Mexicans have always been the largest by population, followed by Puerto Ricans and then Cubans.
But this may be changing. The Salvadoran population’s growth rate has been about double that of the Cuban population (33% versus 17%). As a result, the Salvadoran population is now poised to overtake the Cuban population in the next few years.
But what does this mean to me, you ask? Here are the Pocho Ocho things you should know about your new neighbors:
8. Salvis, they put the USA in pupUSA
7. Pupusas: They’re made out of pupas!
6. It’s OK to refer to them as “Mexicans”
5. They make two-thirds of the “comedy” group Culture Clash
4. On average, they are 3/4″ taller than Guatemalans
3. Can also be called Salvadorans, Salvadoreans, Salvis, Salvatruchas and DeLoreans
2. Are found in Central America, the Central US and South Central LA
And the numero uno thing you should know about your new Salvadoran neighbors is…
They keep a machete in the closet.
This story mostly by Malcolm Mex.
- RELATED VIDEO: Sh*t Salvadorans Say
You can get your own Salvador parking sign here.