8. El guau guau – Also known as a dog. Ferocious creatures.
7. The old country – If you don’t behave I’m going to send you to México next summer, is that what you want??? That’s what I thought!
6. La policia – Look, if you don’t behave I’m going to call the police over and they are going to take you away.
5. La migra – M’ijo I’ve told you a million times to stop whining. I’m going to call the migra, and they are going to take you back to El Salvador with your cousins if you don’t stop it now!
4. El cinto – A belt, leather belt; it’s just a metaphor, though…
3. Your abuelita – Hey, things were different in her day, you can choose between me and her — which is it?
2. La Llorona – Do you want her to come and drown you in the river? Then go to bed!
And the numero uno thing Latino parents tell their children to fear is…
El Cucuy!!!!!!!! (aka the boogeyman)