Benjamin Medrano, 47, won Fresnillo’s July 7 election and will take office this September. His election — he is said to be the first openly-gay mayor in Mexico’s history — has led some observers to speculate that famously-macho Mexicans didn’t really know Medrano was gay, or didn’t believe him when he told them.
Hey, Zacatecas! Try these Pocho Ocho ways to calibrate your gaydar:
8. P.A.N. — not gay. P.R.I. — gay.
7. Maria del Barrio — not gay. Maria del Zona Rosa — gay.
6. Blue Demon — not gay. Santo Gay — gay.
5. Botas de charro — not gay. Botas picudas — gay
4. Camouflage machine gun — not gay. Pink and rainbow-striped machine gun — gay.
3. Regular pan dulce — not gay. Pipi-shaped pan dulce — gay.
2. Futbol Mexicano — not gay. Footsie Mexicano — gay.
And the numero uno way to calibrate your Mexican gaydar is…
Mexican Mitt Romney — not gay. Walter Mercado — real gay.