Here’s a screencap featuring manteca and tacos from their website (click on the image to embiggen):
Some, like POCHO amigo Gustavo ¡Ask A Mexican! Arellano, say it started with Tapatio-flavored Fritos, Doritos, and Ruffles.
Others trace the flavor reconquista to Starbucks’ testing out nopal-flavored espresso drinks in East Los Angeles. But know this: The national introduction of Tapatio-flavored Lays potato chips next week is only the beginning.
Flavoristas say you should look out for these Pocho Ocho Mexican-flavored products in the near future:
8. Horchata-flavored Jaegermeister: Hormeister!
7. Tres Flores presents serrano-chile-flavored bigote wax — sabor picante is just a lick away
6. Chia Coke
8. Beans, beans the magical fruit
7. The tortilla is the perfect shape and size for religious apparitions and spiritual experiences
6. Manteca — it’s the new kombucha
5. Pronouncing “chipotle” deemed World’s Best Tongue Exercise by Women’s Love Commission