This cartoon, from 1894, is by Archie Dunn. The tamalero seems to be wearing a chef’s hat (?) and using a charcoal burner to keep the tamales hot. What do you think his medallion signifies? And aren’t the “Gay Nineties” couple elegant? Are they daredevils eating exotic street food or just another drunk couple with the munchies, hanging out at the food truck of the era?
PREVIOUSLY ON TAMALES:
- Public Service Announcement: No such thing as a ‘tamale’ (video)
- Free medical marijuana tamales? ‘Take A Hit’! (NSFW video)
- Prince Harry sure loves him some tamales oaxaceños! (video)
- Pocho Ocho worst new ‘Latino’ perfume scents after Eau de Tamales
- Tía Chita: ‘It’s final! I’ve absolutely, positively made my last tamal!
- Got tamales? (photo gallery)